Monday 31 December 2018

through the years: december

 Ending the year with not reflecting on 2018, but on all the past Decembers of this decade. And reflecting only on my personal style, really. Here we go:



 2010: It's my first post ever! I was a baby living in Scotland and looked cute. Honestly, this coat was really lovely and I only recently donated it. Cannot believe I was stupid enough to wear open-toe shoes in winter for so long, though! Also, I remember seeing a fashion blogger wear a belt over their winter coat like this and made it my look, too. Not sure if I'd do that again, but it looks alright - I think!



 2011: This first one is a bit boring, but it's what I wore a lot in 2010-2011. First a white shirt was obviously part of my school uniform and then when I moved to Finland and was missing Scotland, it was what I'd often wear. And, I mean, you can't go wrong with a white shirt and jeans/smart trousers/skirt/whatever. The second outfit is a lot more cute and more 'me'. A bow sweater, a bow skirt and I'm surprised there's not a hair bow as well, haha! Really loved both the skirt and the sweater, and wore them all the time until they both couldn't be worn anymore. Would probably wear them still if they existed.


 2012: A Leeds/uni outfit! Very much still having the same vibe as the year before - even wearing the same sweater. I'm quite surprised by how much pink I was wearing when just a couple of years before I remember not owning a single pink piece of clothing. But really liked this heart print skirt, for example. I'm also wearing my trusty hat, trustier bag and the trustiest leather jacket - all of which are still in good use.



 2013: Two Christmassy outfits. I loved that lace dress - wish I had worn it more often! Although I like the all-white look, I was never fully comfortable wearing the white tights and don't see myself getting a new pair in the future. I did wear them quite a bit and sometimes they kind of made an outfit, but I just felt too much of a 5-year-old in them. And not in a good way. So I couldn't and wouldn't wear the first outfit today, but can and do wear the second one. This is not the first time I've featured this red dress I've made even on these 'through the years' posts; I wear it a lot and especially used to wear it during Christmastime. And even though I only bought this coat to be like Lindsay Weir, I'm very happy with my weird obsessions as I have and still am getting a lot of wears out of it. Also, I love my 2013 hair! Getting these posts ready always makes me want to cut my hair.


 2014: These pictures. Loved living on this street, but how grubby is it. But ignore the vile background and the awkward I'm-growing-out-my-pixie hair, because I'm wearing one of my best dresses! I bought it in 2014 and it's been a favourite ever since and still one of my most worn dresses. And I loved these little red boots that I got as a present when I was still in high school and was truly sad when it was time to let go of them. I'm pretty sure it's been quite clear throughout these 'through the years' posts that I actually have had some sort of a consistent style for quite a long time, that I've owned a lot of my clothes for quite a long time and that I actually do wear most of my clothes until they are (almost) beyond repair. Of course there's some things that haven't been as loved or as durable that I have sold or donated, but I'd still say the majority of the contents of my wardrobe are items I've owned for years. And out of that most is second hand, vintage or made by myself. It's been like that so far but more recently I've more consciously been striving to make it so, in order to stay and become increasingly sustainable and ethical in my choices.


 2015: I didn't really have an outfit post from 2015, but I had this. I liked this outfit, I still have this vest of my mum's and I should try and wear it more often. Lipstick on my teeth, so nothing's changed there either..



2018: Unsurprisingly, I had nothing from 2016 or 2017, so we're back to the current year ( - at last for a few more hours!). If you've not seen them yet, my two latest outfits have been Moomin inspired. (Do check them out!) They were created just for the photos, so they aren't "real" outfits that I wore, but they still count. The shawl/cape is my mum's and I always wear it when I'm visiting, and honestly I would definitely wear the whole Groke outfit again. I love the cape and I love the hooded scarf that I knitted last year. The second outfit is something I would wear into the woods, I suppose, but probably not otherwise. Definitely would need a warmer hat! The coat, again, is mum's and an accessory that everyone needs is obviously an axe.

That's all of the Decembers and, as this is the last one of these posts, that's all of the months, too. Hope you've enjoyed these as much as I've enjoyed doing them! And let me know if you have a favourite (or least favourite) December Laura!

You can find all the other through the years posts here:
 JanFebMarAprMayJunJul & AugSepOctNov
SHARE:

1 comment

Corinne said...

Wow, 2010 was your first post! 8 years of blogging is amazing :)

Corinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig