Wednesday 23 January 2019

hermanson and åström


 I mentioned visiting both Hermanson's and Åström's at the end of last year, and finally here's some more pictures from back then. A little mixture of mid-century Sweden and 19th century Finland. Although Haparanda (where Hermanson's is) and Tornio (where Åsröm's is) are basically the same city that just happens to be divided into two countries. I feel like I say this every time I write about this part of the world but you truly don't even notice you're abroad.

I know much less about Åström's, other than it's one of the older houses in Tornio, from the early 19th century, and mostly used for events like the Christmas market we were at. Whereas at Hermanson's you could ask the owners about the history of the place and basically get a tour of the place, even though it is mainly a shop at the minute. We've mostly been in a rush on my couple of visits and I've only heard bits from either the owners or my mum (who's been there previously) so I still need to go back at some point. I really love it, though. They started as a family business selling sewing equipment and clothing, later expanding to basically being a corner shop. They were also known for being slightly eccentric; for example their opening times varied a lot, in the end only being open when they felt like it and you could tell this by the flags they'd put outside to let customers know - something they still do! Lot of the stuff is only for display (I adore all the tins and boxes) and you can also visit the office spaces (and I think you can see more in the summer - isn't that always the case!). But they also sell so much of the original mid-century stock that is still left which is so cool. As well as retro and repro things which is also neat. I love it all. I've already bought all the types of retro sweets available, a great hat, mourning ribbons (that I have no idea when it'd be appropriate to wear but I am determined to find a way) and some other haberdashery.  Next my eye is on a lunch box "for men" (because why would a woman need a lunch box? work outside the home? leave the kitchen? never heard of that - not in the 50s, not now) that would fit on their bicycle rack. I rarely cycle and I rarely have a packed lunch but I feel like that's still something I need in my life. I feel everything in this shop and the whole of Hermanson is something I need in my life. It is all so cute. And you know me; I love old and cute things.











SHARE:

No comments

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig