Saturday 26 January 2019

moomin mug inspired: moominmamma


 It's all my favourite things yet again; Moomins, vintage, sewing. None of which there can be too much of in this world. (Yes, there can, but there isn't too much of them in my life!) This time I'm dressed up as Moominmamma and trying my best to be as gentle and as patient as her - characteristics that I would not perhaps normally choose first when actually describing myself.

Even though I don't necessarily see myself as a Moominmamma, I really love her and her philosophy in life, as a person and as a homemaker (if that is a term one wants to use). She takes care of everyone around her but never sacrifices herself, never at her own expense. She's a very 'traditional' mother, but clearly enjoys her role and takes pride in it. Honestly, my goal in life is to be a Moominmamma-level cook. (How does food in cartoons and comics look so good!) And there's always little quirks to these characters. Leaving the dishes until the next rainfall? Relatable. Or disappearing from your daily life unannounced? Even more relatable. I'm pretty sure Moominmamma did some magic on several occasions, too. I know there isn't just one right way to be a mother but to me, she is such a mother. And then she is just something so much more. Such a mother, and such a woman.








"Moominmamma scooped up a handful of snow and made a snowball. She threw it clumsily as mothers do, and it plopped to the ground not very far away.
‘I’m no good at that,’ said Moominmamma with a laugh. ‘Even Sorry-oo would have made a better throw.’
‘Mother, I love you terribly,’ said Moomintroll."

In this illustration she is such a mother and in these photos I tried my best to embody a mother and tried to throw my snowballs as clumsily as I could, haha! Honestly, I was just very excitable and happy about this pinafore frock that I made! Of course I had to had Moominmamma's trademark apron and handbag. This isn't exactly an apron, or striped, but I figured it would more than just do the job. I'd had this vintage 40s pattern for years, had this fabric and it all made sense; for these photos and for everyday wear afterwards. Because, really where and how often would I be wearing a more authentic Moominmamma apron if I had made that? Not very, whereas I will definitely be wearing this one. I am pretty pleased with how this turned out! The frock came with a pattern for a blouse as well that I didn't have time to make yet, so am excited to get that done and to see how it'll sit after that is done (especially to see the fit of the bodice/neck once it's properly worn under a collar). BUt, I think, this might become my new look and I might make more of these in the future. I felt cute as a Moominmamma.

 Pinafore - Self-made // Jumper - 2nd hand // Handbag - Mum's // Shoes - H&M // Mittens - Gift










SHARE:

No comments

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig