Thursday 22 November 2018

tosca cake


It's my godmother's birthday and nameday this week, and although I had initially planned to go visit during this time, that didn't quite happen. I'll be up north in Lapland later in the month and in December, though, and am looking forward to all that. In the meantime, I thought I'd share this recipe of one of my godmother's favourites.

I've always cooked and baked and done a lot of other fun things with my godmother. She's always been one of my favourite people and someone who's always been there for me. I've even lived with her for short periods of time through the years and it has felt like she's my second mother/grandmother/auntie and like I am part of their family as much as they are ours. Learning to bake little rolls with her when I was just a tiny toddler, our annual gingerbread house building, planning and making menus for any family celebrations (like my confirmation or graduation) and other food-related memories are not the only ones I have but they are definitely among the best and most memorable. Now my godmother has had Alzheimer's for a good few years and it's hard. It's always hard to lose someone whether it be physically or mentally. And because I am not the best at talking and all that, my default for a while now has been to bake and bring something along that we can share and possibly all enjoy. Sometimes I feel a bit stupid about it and wish it wasn't what I always do - it's as if saying 'I don't have the words and I don't know what to say, but here's a cake'. It's a bit silly and a bit pathetic at times. But at the same time, it's something I like doing and sometimes all I can do. And doing your best is all one can do, and you never know what words and actions connect with anyone you meet.

So I bake. These pictures have been in my drafts for a long time, and I wasn't sure whether or not I was going to post them. I mean, I'll probably try remaking (and perfecting - it could be taller and fluffier) this cake in the coming weeks and could take new photos. But here they are, from the last time I made this cake for my godmother.




This is what you need and how you bake a Tosca cake:

Cake:
4-5 eggs
2dl sugar
4dl plain flour
1tsp baking powder
50g butter
Topping:
1dl sugar
100g butter
2tbsp milk
1tbsp plain flour
100g almond flakes (honestly my recipe says two packets, but I think that should be the same as 100g!)

I Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.

II Sift the flour and baking powder together and add to the egg-sugar mixture.

III Add the melted butter.

IV Bake in a baking tray in 175°C for 15-20min or until light brown and almost done in the middle.

V While the cake is in the oven, mix the tosca topping. Add all the ingredients (sugar, butter, milk, flour and almonds) in a pan and bring to a boil. Once the butter has melted, stir continuously and mix everything together.

VI Take the cake out of the oven, spread the tosca topping evenly over it and bake for another 15min or until golden brown.

VII Cut into squares and enjoy!

(Also, although I've not yet tried making this other than traditionally, you could easily substitute the eggs, butter and milk for vegan-friendly ones or the flour for gluten-free! It's all about just having that fluffy cake and the delicious tosca topping!)

And here's a bonus picture of a young Laura as proof of how old these photos are:


SHARE:

No comments

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig