Thursday 15 November 2018

queen's house


Since it's Thursday, let's make it a throwback one. These pictures are from 2015 when I visited the Queen's House in Greenwich. If I had actually posted about it back then I would've probably had more to say as I remember having thoughts about it and thoughts while visiting. But, as per usual, I've let this post sit in my drafts for years and the only notes I've made re: what I wanted to write are: "Inigo Jones. Queen. La de da. Architecture, man." Why do I do this?

The Queen's House is stunning, though. And I think it's had some restoration work done on it since my time there, so it might look a bit different and might be worth revisiting. The Queen's House was commissioned by and for Anne of Denmark, King James VI and I's Queen, and is remarkable for a number of reasons. Mostly, though, because it's the first classical building in the country. And the stunner of a staircase below is the first centrally unsupported helical staircase in England. As one of his first building commissions the house also somewhat helped launch the career of Inigo Jones as a renowned architect. (I was really into Inigo Jones in 2015, so I was excited.) The construction was started in 1616 but stopped a couple of years later as Queen Anne died. Charles I gave the unfinished house to his wife Henrietta Maria, construction resumed in 1629 and was completed in 1635 - still a Queen's House. Then as the English Civil War began, the house only really had time to be in use for seven years. And although most of the interiors are not originals and only restorations and replicas, it's still an impressive and very pretty place. I love the symmetry outside and everything inside is just pretty. If my future husband isn't a king and doesn't commission a house like this for me I'm going to be disappointed.






SHARE:

2 comments

Hena Tayeb said...

Nice. Gorgeous staircase

http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

Sakuranko said...

Oh very great place
xx

www.sakuranko.com

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig