Sunday 25 August 2019

moomin mug inspired: keep waters clean


 Keep waters clean!

Can't help but continue with the monotony of saying that this is one of my favourite Moomin mugs. It's also one of the "rarer" ones and one of two (that I know of) that were at the time only sold in Sweden. It's from a set of two mugs with this theme and from a campaign to keep the Baltic Sea clean. The Moomin artwork was originally drawn in the 70s for a 'Save the Baltic' campaign and then these were used again in the mugs in 2015 and 2016 for a similar campaign with some of the proceedings going into educating and helping to save and keep the waters in the sea clean. Which is really great - and it doesn't hurt that the mug is so pretty!




 I like that the illustration on this mug is kind of cheeky. Moominmamma is trying to wash her rugs in the sea but is interrupted by this sea monster and clearly knows she shouldn't be using phosphate-based detergent and is embarrassed as she's caught in the act. I tried my best to look embarrassed or guilty in the photos but ended up just having fun and enjoying myself for the most part. Definitely did not get any phosphates or detergent - that are bad for the environment - in the sea, though! (It's a box of oats really, anyway, haha!)

This was so much fun. (Even though lugging all of these rugs and other things to these rocks next to the beach was a real struggle - I'm glad my mum was helping.) I'm missing my sea monster but he was definitely on my mind. And hopefully is on other people's minds too so that the waters stay clean. With my little apron and handbag I felt like Moominmamma and no matter what I do I love a day by the sea. I'm sure my mother would've been even happier if I had actually washed the rugs, but that didn't happen!






 The Moomins love the sea - reflecting how Tove Jansson loved it as well (as do I, don't most people?). So, I'm surprised this has been the first of these recreations that I've done by the sea or by any kind of water (if we're not counting a frozen river, and we are not). There's going to be more in the future, you can be sure of that! But until those next sea/water photos happen, you'll find me at the beach! (Truly, that's where I'm planning on being for my birthday tomorrow. Hooray.)









SHARE:

No comments

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig