Friday 27 April 2018

porto: antiga, mui nobre, sempre leal e invicta


 One of the cities in Portugal I'd like to go back to and explore more of is Porto. All the red roofs (I'd call that orange but every Portuguese person I've met insists the roofs are red), the river, old buildings and walls, little alleyways and the atmosphere make for such a charming place. And I also like the city's motto Antiga, Mui Nobre, Sempre Leal e Invicta (Old, Most Noble, Always Loyal and Undefeated) - I like it when places have mottos in general! Porto really is quite cute.






 I only ever made it to Porto once, despite having plans to visit it all the time last year. But one of my teachers organized a day trip for us in Porto which was really lovely! I'm definitely more accustomed to travelling on my own, but it was nice to not have to plan anything and to have company for a change. Seeing a place from the point of view of locals is also always a plus. In addition to two of our teachers, we met one teacher's husband and sister who was an architect and was able to give us a really interesting tour of the city. It was a really hot day, though, so we didn't perhaps get to see as much, and had some ice tea and ice cream breaks instead. If you see that big metal arch bridge in the first picture (Dom Luís I Bridge), there were children and teenagers jumping off of it into the river, and I kind of wished I could've done that as well. Apparently, if you throw coins into the river, they'll also dive and try to get them.

Travelling in a little group, I feel like I both got to see and hear a lot, and that there's still a lot left for me to explore on my own on a (possible) future trip. We mainly walked around the city (which I loved), and sometime after lunch headed to the beach before driving back home. So there's a lot of museums and churches that I still want to get into. As well as the Lello & Irmão bookstore that we did walk by and that there's a picture of somewhere below, but I didn't want to make everyone wait in line to get inside - especially since some people had already been there. It was part of my Harry Potter tourism since it's not only a top bookstore but also one of the places that J.K. Rowling used as an inspiration for Harry Potter when she lived in Porto (although basically every place she's visited claims to have been an inspiration, and, like a lot of other people, I'm really just a fan of Harry Potter anymore, not Rowling).

Hope you like these lil' photos, and let me know if you've been to Porto and what your favourite Porto things are!















SHARE:

7 comments

Corinne said...

You seem to visit so many amazing places. I'm very jealous!

Corinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com

Laura Mitbrodt said...

It looks so amazing there
xo
www.laurajaneatelier.com

Laura Jones said...

Corinne - haha, i've not actually been anywhere in a while, hen! these are from last year, for example, haha!

Laura Jane Atelier - porto really is amazing, chick! xx

Bela Darcy - thanks, hon! xx

Hena Tayeb said...

Such a beautiful place. We've been to Portugal but never to Porto.
Thanks for sharing.

http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

Laura Jones said...

Hena Tayeb - isn't it, dear! there's a lot of beautiful places in portugal to visit, though! xx

Steph said...

I love Porto! Not been there for years, but we took a friend there (who is an avid Port drinker) for her Hen and had the most wonderful few days. Completely by accident we timed it with a huge Port festival that is held on the banks of the river and spent a fantastic day sipping every combination of Port you can imagine in the sunshine next to the water. I didn't actually think I liked Port but I was a convert by the time we went home! x

Laura Jones said...

Steph - it's such a great city! and it sounds like you had such an amazing time - quite ideal really, hon! xx

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig