Wednesday 4 September 2019

moomin mug inspired: fuzzy


 No, I didn't get married this summer. Not even close.

However, I did buy a vintage 1950s wedding dress a while back, and it is in near-perfect condition and an absolute dream. And although the main reason for getting it was that it is stunning and only 50€, it was also perfect as an outfit for this Fuzzy Moomin mug! Because even though I am not about to get married, towards the end of Moominpappa's Memoirs the Muddler and the Fuzzy do get married:


"Excuse me!" the Muddler cried. "I'm married!"
"Me, too!" the Fuzzy said, and dropped a curtsy.




 The Fuzzy is only a small character and basically only known as wife to the Muddler and mother to Sniff. But she is very cute - especially in her wedding dress. My mum was telling me to smile more in the photos; to pretend that I was happy since it was supposed to be 'the happiest day of my life', but one of the only things known about Fuzzy is that she is shy. So, I figured she'd only be doing a small and coy smile. It doesn't mean that she isn't bursting with happiness even if she doesn't have the biggest grin on her face. And they definitely were eager to get married as they didn't have the patience to wait until the afternoon when their party was supposed to happen and instead they got married earlier without telling everyone else! Another thing known about Fuzzy is that she loves and collects buttons (as does the Muddler). And so do I! I tried to find my biggest and most colourful ones for the necklace that she's wearing. It's very her, and I love how Fuzzy and the Muddler even exchange buttons instead of wedding rings. They are very cute, just living their best life.

 "Impossible or not, the wedding's today!" said the Autocrat nervously. "With a Fuzzy. ... Well, they fell head over heels in love at first sight, and they've been swapping buttons and running about being generally silly ever since..."





I just have to gush about this dress a tiny bit more! The woman at the second hand shop actually knew the woman it had belonged to which is lovely as I love stories behind pieces of clothing. Although she didn't feel like she was at liberty to say too much about it, it was nice to learn at least a little. It's from the early 50s and because of that and because it's from Lapland, it doesn't have the most classic 50s style but is more of a 40s-transitioning-into-50s. I love that. (And Moominpappa's Memoirs were first published in the 50s, so that's fitting, too!) Most of these pictures are from a distance, so you can't really tell, but the fabric is so pretty; it has this little pattern on it. (I want to say it's almost embossed, but don't know what it actually is for sure!) It does have some tiny miscolouring in a couple of spots and I haven't been brave enough to sort them out yet - vintage clothing can be so tricky. But I am so happy with this dress. And it comes with a matching slip dress too! I don't know where else I'm going to wear it, but I will find a way. (IF I were thinking about marriage, this isn't the style of dress I would've thought I'd go for, but honestly IF I ever got married I might as well wear this! It is a stunning dress.)

I also think I really lucked out as for the background since one of the churches near my mum's is pink - just like the mug! And what better place to take "wedding" photos than a pink church.










 "Oh, dear me, dear me! ... The best of luck to you both! What a sweet little Fuzzy! Give them three cheers, children, they're married!"




SHARE:

1 comment

Selerit said...

I like your dress. My sister also bought a dress like this when she attended a wedding last year, and it was comfortable to wear. So she's satisfied with it.

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig