Wednesday 19 September 2018

dressed for a funeral


 This is one of my favourite vintage dresses, but also one that I wear the least. And this is one of those rare occasions when I don't necessarily want to wear it more often - it is my funeral and mourning dress.

It's really just a black vintage dress that I bought for less than a tenner some years ago and it could be worn anytime. But after I've only worn it to funerals, when someone dies and occasionally on death days/anniversaries, I don't feel like putting it on at other times. It just feels like a funeral dress. From a young age I always used to have clothes that would be classed as 'funeral outfit', early on it would just be something smarter and mostly darker colours, and later always black. Compared to those around me there seemed to be relatively many deaths within my family and family friends. Which made me accept death as a part of life basically from day one - and possibly also contributed to my fascination with the morbid. When my mum started working with the elderly I'd often befriend them (because I love old people!) and, naturally, there's been more funerals because of that, too. But, like I've often said, although people dying isn't fun, I do like funerals. So when I saw this dress I instantly thought it'd become my funeral dress. I even jokingly said (in v. bad taste) that I hoped someone would die soon and I could wear my dress. I regretted it when a friend then died. (Obviously I don't think my words had any effect, but it still made me feel a tiny bit crappy.)

Since then I've worn it to a number of funerals and other sad occasions. The latest was at the end of the summer when one of my elderly acquaintances died and although I didn't go to the funeral, I did want to wear my dress. And then to take pictures in the woods in a very Laura manner. I hope this isn't too depressing to read. To me it isn't, but I completely understand that to somebody else it will be. I mean how many times have I said 'funeral' or 'death' already?


 Dress - Vintage // Sunglasses - Citymarket








SHARE:

No comments

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig