Thursday 19 July 2018

a chapel in the midst


 We all know I love a good cemetery so finding out there was a church, a graveyard and a cemetery all in one place nearby obviously got me excited to go explore. (As well as to test out a new little tripod I got.) And it was a good one.




 Dress - 2nd hand // Shoes - Skopunkten // Sunglasses - Portobello market // Necklace - H&M



 I wasn't sure whether to call this a cemetery or a graveyard, but decided that it's clearly both. The initial graveyard is built around the medieval church and has most of the older tombstones, a couple of crypts and this yellow chapel. Whereas the cemetery is then built next to all of this, and even though I do prefer the older sections, the cemetery is also really lovely and peaceful. And like a proper pretentious prat, the chapel and the greenery, the graves and the flowers made me think of William Blake's The Garden of Love. So here you go:

"I went to the Garden of Love,.
And saw what I never had seen;
A Chapel was built in the midst,
Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut,
And ‘Thou shalt not.' writ over the door;
So I turned to the Garden of Love
That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,
And tombstones where flowers should be;
And Priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,
And binding with briars my joys & desires."

Other than that, I'm simply wearing my 2nd hand dress and my necklace that I got last summer, both for about £1. How good is that! This is basically all of my favourite things; being cheap, floral patterns and flowers, cemeteries and history, and poetry. Which also pretty much sums up my summer so far.








 



SHARE:

No comments

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig