Saturday 2 November 2019

nivala in the summer


 I didn't do anything spooky for Halloween, but here's some graveyard pictures (plus other things than graveyards) for this season. These are actually from the summer, and cemeteries and graveyards are perfect any time of the year, but they also seemed appropriate for Halloween/All Saint's.

In the summer I was in Nivala, which is near where my mum's from, and among the things I did there were my favourites: graves and museums. As visiting all the Finnish presidents' graves has now become my hobby that's what was my main objective. (And now I only have one more grave to visit! Although that is in a town I have no other reason to visit, but I will definitely make it there at some point.) I did easily find the Kallio grave (easy to spot, very big), but the rest of the church and graveyard were pretty to explore as well.

 



As we were on a bit of a Kallio trip, seeing his grave and everything, we obviously had to visit the Kyösti and Kalervo Kallio Museum as well. I'm sure I've mentioned it before but we're (somewhat distantly) related so this was basically like visiting family. I am joking, but it was all really cool and some of the pieces that were from their homes looked like something that could've been from my grandparents' house. I just like how Kallio was from a farm and also one of the only presidents who isn't from the south.

The museum is partly about Kyösti Kallio and his life and partly about his son Kalervo, who was a sculptor, and his works. There's pieces from Kallio's childhood and later homes, as well as his wife, Kaisa's belongings. There's farm life, political life, Kalervo's art. It's a small museum in a small town, but still worth a visit. A bit niche, but I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the Kallio family.









SHARE:

No comments

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig