Thursday 21 March 2019

moomin mug inspired: snow horse


The snow is slowly melting over here in Finland and it should technically be spring now, but it is decidedly still winter. At least in Lapland. So here's more wintry Moomin scenes.

I am a bit gutted that once I had finished building my snow horse it was too dark to take pictures and the next day the temperature had warmed up and transformed him into Droopy the snow horse - and it was basically dark all day again anyway. (There's a couple pre-droop pictures at the end of the post, though!) I don't see myself birthing an another one of these anytime soon/ever, and you do have to work with what you've got regardless. This is still the most impressive (snow) thing I've made in well over a decade. Sadly, nobody has taken care of the horse and as these were taken quite a while back, although he still exists, he's currently fully covered in snow with only a tiny bit of his twig tail showing. Absolutely tragic.




The snow horse and the Lady Of The Cold are such great parts of Moominland Midwinter. I love them in the book, and in the series - and this is still one of my favourite mugs! The Lady Of The Cold was terrifying, though. Powerful and mesmerizing, but terrifying. And Moomintroll's wonder (and sometimes worry) towards all things winter is always delightful. I felt like I looked most Moominous in my mum's winter clothes, so you can see her in the same coat and hat in the last picture as well, haha!

"When Moomintroll stepped out in the grey twilight, a strange white horse was standing by the verandah, staring at him with luminous eyes. He cautiously approached and greeted it, but the horse didn't move. Moomintroll now saw that it was made of snow. ...

"I'm Too-ticky, and I've made a horse," she sang.
"A wild, white horse that goes a-gallop
Stamping o'er the ice into the night,
A white and solemn horse that goes a-gallop
Carrying the Great Cold upon his back."
Then followed the refrain."






SHARE:

1 comment

Corinne said...

That's amazing! My brothers bought me an igloo when I was younger, it's not often we get that much snow!

Corinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig