Wednesday 11 April 2018

two mumin kaffe moments


 If you didn't know it already, I love the Moomins and I have always loved the Moomins. I grew up in the 90s Moomin boom and am very happy to be living in the current Moomin boom now, as it means there's so many exciting Moomin things and products. The latest Moomin thing I've gotten into are the Mumin Kaffes (i.e. Moomin cafés) by visiting two of them in Helsinki last Friday. (Yes, two in one day!)






 I went to Helsinki to spend some time with my mum, and we started the day with coffee at the Stockmann department store's Mumin kaffe. It's the smaller one since it's in a department store and also strategically placed next to all the Moomin mugs and other Moomin things for sale. And after our day in Helsinki, the final stop was at another Mumin Kaffe. The bigger one is obviously a bit more atmospheric and has a nicer interior, but they still both had the same or similar art work and the menus are more or less the same. As we visited early-ish in the morning and late in the evening, both times the cafés were quite empty and quiet which was a good experience in my opinion.

I'm still on my low FODMAP diet and eating out is more complicated than it usually is for me, but the Mumin Kaffes seem to cater quite well to different dietary restrictions. Lots of gluten-free, lactose-free, dairy-free and even vegan options. So I had some gluten-free cakes that were really good and my favourite Finnish lemonade that I always have if I see it anywhere. They also do the cutest Moomin latte art on coffees and hot chocolates. And obviously they serve the food on Moomin plates and mugs. And they have little Moomins you can sit with (or maybe they're more for the children, but I sat with Moominpappa). It is supposed to be a child-friendly space and café and has a little play area, but I have heard people saying the menu isn't as child-friendly as it could be which isn't really something I can comment on. Personally I enjoyed everything I had and everything, including food and decor, was cute.

I hardly ever go to Helsinki so I cannot start telling anyone where the best coffee is and what's the prettiest café, but I'd recommend checking out the Mumin Kaffes. If you're a fan you'll love it, and if you aren't you'll probably like it anyway. They're quite sweet and I had a really great time!







You can find these two in Helsinki on the 5th floor of Stockmann, Aleksanterinkatu 52 // Fabianinkatu 29 (10am - 6pm)
SHARE:

3 comments

Miguel Gouveia said...

thanks :)

cool place dear!

NEW #OS5MAIS POST | THE FIVE MOST USED LIES! :D
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

Valerie said...

Wow, this cafe is so cute! I love the coffee art!

http://roadesque.com

Laura Jones said...

Miguel Gouveia - thanks, hon! xx

Valerie Price - isn't it, honey! xx

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig